Author Topic: Cleaning up the mess  (Read 4223 times)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Cleaning up the mess
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Here is a question for all of you: What have you used to clean up spilled wvo off of tanks etc? If I overfill my aux tanks and park the wrong way, expansion causes fuel to come out of my filler caps (2 inch pipe caps) and leaves a film on the top of my painted tanks. I have tried most solvents and they don't touch it. Tonight, I tried some oven cleaner and it worked with some scrubbing, but it attacked the paint in several spots.
I started a new topic on your question, nuffsaid.  I just go through a lot of rags, and I keep a lot of rags around to cleanup any messes that I produce.  I have read on bio-diesel forums that they commonly use their glycerin to clean up oil spills.  So, if you have a friend who makes bio-diesel, then maybe that person will give some to you.  They usually have a glycerin disposal problem anyway.

I also have found that pure gum turpentine is an excellent solvent for removing the spills, and especially the sludge, from my alternative fuels projects.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

zambology

Re: Cleaning up the mess
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
Hi all. Sodium Hydroxide works great for me (I believe my American cousins call it lye)? Pour the crystals over the wvo spillage (wear gloves this stuff burns)! add a little water and give it a scrub, the wvo turns into soap and cleans itself. I am now working on a system to re-circulate the water/lye solution as when I am cleaning very greasy tubs etc, the liquid still has the ability to breakdown fats. Hope this helps regards Z.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
Thanks, zambology, for the recommendation, and to know that you are recycling.  Recycling, after all, is what burning waste oils as diesel fuel is all about.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

zambology

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Jahanananda, even after the solution appears to loose strength if you leave greasy cubies and utensils in the fluid overnight the fats/oils still seem to break down. I tend to use strong solutions to breakdown the fats and crud from inside the cubies then decant the fluid into a plastic "bath" which I then wash the outside of the cubies and utensils. A warning though, this stuff burns, don't get it on your skin or clothes, cheers Z.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:41:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice, zambology.  I have just rinsed everything with gasoline, then I recycle the dirty gasoline into the next batch of waste oil blend.  Arguably gasoline does not dissolve the animal fat, so I use a rag to wipe off the little bit of animal fat that gets into my WVO.  The rags then get recycled into fire starters when I am camping.

zambology

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »
Sodium hydroxide is nasty and petrol has obvious disadvantages. Is there a friendly bacteria or microbe out there that breaks this stuff down? What's the ingredient in clothes washing powders/solutions or dishwasher tablets that breaks down fats? Any ideas, Z

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »
Sodium hydroxide is nasty and petrol has obvious disadvantages. Is there a friendly bacteria or microbe out there that breaks this stuff down? What's the ingredient in clothes washing powders/solutions or dishwasher tablets that breaks down fats? Any ideas, Z
Soap making involves reacting sodium, or potassium, hydroxide with fat to make glycerine.  So, if you do not want to use lye (sodium, or potassium, hydroxide) then make friends with a biodiesel maker and get his glycerine for cleaning up messes.

zambology

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
More cunning recycling Z.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
Last year I had a young friend helping me make fuel, so that he could learn how to make it.  One day he forgot to close a valve, which caused an explosion of my WVO-gasoline blend to occur.  Only 5 gallons in 20 was lost, and thus spilled, but it was a mess, and I really do my best not to ever have a mess.  So, I had a fairly large puddled in gravel that was formed by the 5 gallon spill. 

I had been collecting the ash from my morning fires to make fire bricks with, so I used it to mop up the spill.  It worked great.  It took about an equal amount of ash (5 gallons) to mop up the 5 gallon spill.  I used a tin can to thinly spread it over the spill, and I repeated the application several times until there was no wet appearance in the gravel.

The accident produced an interesting discovery.  It turned out that the ash + WVO + gravel formed a pavement that I, and others, drive on almost every day.  It is also where the rain water is channeled.  The pavement has proven to be impervious to rain, and wear for almost one year now. So, if you make your own fuel, and you have wood fires for warmth, then save that ash for future cleanups.

fire place ash used as oil absorbing material
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:52:05 PM by Jhanananda »