Author Topic: Blending gasoline with biodiesel  (Read 3181 times)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Blending gasoline with biodiesel
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
Blending gasoline with biodiesel at 10% to cause contaminants to precipitate out, lower the gel point, improve performance, and reduce emissions.
http://youtu.be/0EorDrATSoc
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Corpsie

• vetted member
Re: Blending gasoline with biodiesel
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
How long did it take for the blend to react? I mixed gasoline with biodiesel and have not had the same results, but it has only been sitting for a few days.

While searching YouTube to see if anyone else tried it, I stumbled across someone using electricity to settle more glycerin out of biodiesel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEEW3V-j6zs&feature=related

Perhaps the biodiesel you obtained wasn't finished reacting and settling?

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »
Corpsie, from what I understand the biodiesel at the pump in Tucson, AZ, is very low grade; however, the point I was attempting to make with the video was gasoline can be used to finalize the process of making biodiesel by adding a small amount of gasoline to a biodiesel batch prior to water washing, and after removal of the first level of glycerin.  Doing so could accelerate the settling process and removal of glycerin residues, and eliminate the water washing cycle.

The fact that your batch of biodiesel has not produced a sediment in several days of settling means it is pretty clean.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Corpsie

• vetted member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
I just got done talking with a guy here who makes biodiesel and he pretty much said the same thing "the pump grade biodiesel usually isn't very good" and it's no surprise that could happen.