Author Topic: Centrifuges ?  (Read 18440 times)

nuffsaid

Re: Centrifuges ?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
I guess the one thing I left out about my failed fuel mix on my trip to Canada last year is that I only used paint filters to filter my oil. Obviously not good enough, so now I am hoping to only have to go one more step and that is the centrafuge. If this works, then I will have very clean fuel that will not plug my filters, doesn't cost a lot of time or money and doesn't require additional filters.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 06:20:34 AM »
While I believe everyone who has turned waste oil into diesel fuel for a long time will agree that paint filters, coffee filters, and rags are inadequate filters for turning waste oil into diesel fuel; nonetheless, blenders who properly settle their blend before filtering find that there is not much filtering required, so if you had done two things for your trip: 1) Settled your blends long enough. 2) Not blended WVO with WMO, then you would most probably not have plugged a filter on your entire trip. 

Plugged fuel filters are common for anyone starting out turning waste oil into diesel fuel.  But, you will know when you have figured it out, when you no longer plug your fuel filters.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:07:43 AM by Jhanananda »
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

nuffsaid

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
All of the wvo that I have used has had ample time for settling, but there is still a lot of debris that remains floating on the surface. When I pour from the 5 gallon containers, I try to not pour any of the settled contents from the bottom of the container, but sometimes a little gets into the filtering hopper. Since I started using the filtering trap, it is getting the oil very clean, but the centrafuge is taking out the super fine stuff that would plug a fuel filter. I have obviously skipped a bunch of the filtering steps that you are using, but that is my point of trying to make a process that is as simple and effecient as possible.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »
I agree nuffsaid, it is possible to make a very inexpensive and simple WVO processing system, which just uses 5 gallon fuel cans and a funnel and a stack of screens, and I have created a video on it.  WVO is easy to process.

Processing WMO is another story, and that is why I purchased a centrifuge to help clean up my WMO blends.  However, the centrifuge will be plumbed into my system hopefully today, and all of my waste oil blends will pass through it at least once before going to my fuel tank.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

nuffsaid

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
In my wmo experiment, I now believe that the laquer was the problem. I cut open most of my filters and saw now visible contaminents on the filter paper. The wmo that I used had settled for quite a while, but I wasn't super careful about not drawing any oil off the bottom when I pumped it out of my containers.  I have added wmo to my bulk fuel tanks for years and never had any real problems.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:22 AM »
Well, yes, the real problem is WMO meets WVO causes a radical precipitation event which results in a great deal of sub-micron free carbon particles and liquid lacquer settling to the bottom of the fuel tank.  This is why I am promoting translucent WMO blends, so that WVO blends can be added on top without causing a radical precipitation event.  And, I believe a centrifuge is going to be an important part of that equation, as well as blending acetone and/or WVO into the WMO blend as part of that processing strategy.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
The last 2 times I processed WVO blends I found fats stuck to the centrifuge rotor, so the centrifuge has turned out to be a very useful way to remove fats, which passed right through the rest of my filtering equipment, which includes a 1-micron bag filter.

Excalibur

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Fats are a pain at times. As you say, they will pass through even a 1 micron filter. Then the next thing you know there's a blockage.
I wondered whether that same oil you got this fat from was again centrifuged, would there be still more fats trapped in the rotor?
Is the wvo heated for the centrifuge process?

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:48 AM »
Hi Excalibur, thanks for the reply, and sorry that it took me so long to reply.  I was traveling round trip to Tucson to visit with me daughter, and I had many waste oil fuel road adventures along the way, which delayed my return several days.
Fats are a pain at times. As you say, they will pass through even a 1 micron filter. Then the next thing you know there's a blockage.
I wondered whether that same oil you got this fat from was again centrifuged, would there be still more fats trapped in the rotor?
Yes, fat is a serious problem, and, since the rotor was full, it is likely that if I centrifuged the batch of fuel again, I might extract more fat, and I had suspected at first that my starting problems on my trip were related to fat clogged fuel filters; however, after back-flushing my fuel filters on the road, I had to conclude that fat was not the problem.  More on that under another thread.
Is the wvo heated for the centrifuge process?
Well, the centrifuge maker recommends heating the waste oil to thin it before centrifuging, but that would mean the fat in some WVO is not going to be extracted, so thinning the waste oil with gasoline prior to centrifuging, and not heating it, I believe, is a better way to go.

Excalibur

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »
Yes, you might be onto something. Multiple passes with cold gasoline blended wvo might just clean it up.

I just picked up another 80Liters of wvo from a café. I notice that there was no fat visible anywhere and I wondered if they'd changed their menu. Unless it's more to do with being mid-summer here...

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
Excalibur, I have noticed that during the warm months my fat collection slowly melts allowing amber oil to rise, so that is probably what is happening for your regular supplier of WVO.

Last week I found my PA Biodiesel, pressure driven centrifuge did not spin up while processing fuel.  I dumped the load into 5 gal buckets, and dismantled the centrifuge.  I found one of the orifices was plugged.  I just ran a thin wire through the orifice to unplug it.  So, for now on I will be running a thin wire through the orifices every time I clean them out after a batch.

Today I ran 20 gallons (80L) of WVO blend through the centrifuge and found the fat collected on the rotor, so I am happy to have the centrifuge is part of my processing equipment now.

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »
Here is another open bowl Centrifuge worth looking at if you are planning on purchasing one.  There are three models to chose from ranging in prices from $997.00 to $1497.00