Author Topic: Solvents that dissolve Fat (HMPEs)  (Read 2946 times)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Solvents that dissolve Fat (HMPEs)
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
Over the winter I did some more experimenting with the heaviest fats.  I built a simple oven, and put a 5-gallon (20L) metal bucket on a plate warmer inside the oven, and left it there keeping warm for a week.

Keeping the fat warm for about a week of settling allowed me to extract another 5 gallons (20L) of light oil out of 10 gallons (40L) of fat.

I then added 1/2 gallon (2L) of diesel fuel on top of the remaining 5 gallons (20L) of the fat, and heated it all day to 212F (100c). I then allowed it to cool over night to 75F (24c), then I poured off about 1 gallon (4L) of light blend.  I found it gelled at 50F (10c).  I then poured another 1/2 gallon (2L) of diesel fuel on top of the remaining 4 gallons (16L) of the fat, and heated it all day. I then allowed it to cool over night. The next morning I poured off about another 1 gallon (4L) of light blend. 

I repeated the experiment every day until the 1/2 gallon (2L) of diesel fuel that I poured off the next morning was not even discolored.  I ended up with a diesel-fat blend that gelled at 50F (10c).  Its sg was .850.  I tested the fresh diesel and found it .838sg.  So, I think the blend was only about 25% fat. Today I added gasoline to the diesel-fat blend at 20%, and left it to settle outside in a shady spot.

This is the new, clean diesel fuel

This is the diesel-fat blend.  At this resolution there is little difference in the 2 photos; however, the clean diesel fuel had the slight bluish color, which the diesel-fat blend did not.  The diesel-fat blend was also slightly more amber in color.
Conclusion:
Heating fat will definitely extract more light WVO out of it.  Adding diesel fuel to the remainder will extract more of something, which I believe was the last little bit of light WVO to be extracted.  I predict that adding gasoline to the diesel-fat blend at 20% will keep it liquid down to the current night time low, which can be about 40F (5c).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:11:18 AM by Jhanananda »
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Re: Dissolving Fat in solvents
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
I blended gasoline at 20% with the diesel-fat blend, and left it for about a week or so.  No new precipitates were formed.  The specific gravity of the blend was .848.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
I had a 5-gallon container for WVO that was creamy, so I added gasoline to it at 20%, then left it settling for a week.  After a week I found about 2.5 gallons of clear amber WVO blend floating on top, which I poured off.  I then added another gallon of waste gasoline to the remaining creamy WVO, which had gotten thicker and whiter.  Then I left it settling for a week. I just extracted about 2 gallons of clear amber WVO blend floating on top and added more gasoline to it to see if I could extract any more useable fuel from it.  I will check it in a week. 

Over the winter I collected 45 gallons (170L) of creamy sediments from my WVO blends.  In the last month the weather has warmed significantly, so the last time I made fuel blends I put gasoline into the creamy containers and extracted 35 gallons after 2 weeks of settling. It looks like just adding more gasoline on top of the fat, and waiting for warmer weather, will continue to extract more fuel from the creamy sediments.  Eventually I expect that no more fuel will be extractable from the collection of fat.  At that point I plan to try various solvents to either convert all of the fat, or reduce it more.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:16:57 PM by Jhanananda »

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:34 PM »
It is now the hottest part of summer, with the daily temperatures over 100F (40c).  I just made more fuel blend and found only about 5 gallons (20L) of creamy fat left of the 50 gallons (200L) that had accumulated over the winter. 

I recently needed to clean a transfer hose that had not been contaminated with the black crud from WMO+WVO experiments.  I filled the hose with a succession of solvents to clean it out.  I used acetone, pure gum turpentine, MEK substitute and lacquer thinner.  It worked very well. Once the solvents began to run clear, I decide that was all I was going to get out of the hose.  It was not completely clean, but clean enough.

I then deposited the gallon (4L) of dirty solvents together into the creamy white residues from the winter fuel blends.  It extracted another gallon of fat. 

I use a series of old screens for removing the particulate from my WVO samples.  They have all gotten clogged with fat and dirt, so I am now soaking them in the remainders of the acetone, pure gum turpentine, MEK substitute and lacquer thinner. I noticed that the crud was already flaking off the screens after only an hour of soaking but I left it to soak over night to thoroughly clean the screens.  Tomorrow morning I plan to use a wire brush to finish cleaning my screens, then I will put the dirty solvent into the remainder of the creamy white fat to see if I can dissolve any more of it.  So far the experiment has been very successful.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:04:07 AM by Jhanananda »

Jhanananda

• Administrator
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Re: Solvents that dissolve Fat (HMPEs)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
Further experiments on this project have shown me that the Solvents that dissolve Fat (HMPEs and HMPTs) are:

Lacquer thinner, gasoline, pure gum turpentine, MEK (Methal-Ethel-Ketone).

I believe that the reason why Lacquer thinner and gasoline work as solvents for fat is because they both contain alcohol in the USA.  Therefore alcohols, like: Ethyl and Methyl, probably work as solvents for Fat (HMPEs and HMPTs).

Knowing what will disssolve Fat (HMPEs and HMPTs), verses what solvents that will reject Fat (HMPEs and HMPTs) helps in selectively removing the Fat (HMPEs and HMPTs) from one's fuel; blend; which will resolve the problem of injector pump failures, injector coking and crud formation in the oil sump.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:30:41 AM by Jhanananda »