Author Topic: buying vegetable oil seeds to make my own oil  (Read 1473 times)

philbri

• vetted member
buying vegetable oil seeds to make my own oil
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
Hi guys,

Last day I thought about having no shortages of waste vegetable oil and I dreamt about having a large fleet of minibuses all uses vegetable oil as fuel for local commercial scale use.  :) What do you think is the best and money wise seed to buy ? Do you think is it worth the risk to buy an automated seed press and start making my own vegetable oil. Currently I'm paying 3 euro ( 4 USD ) for every 20 litre wvo collected from only 10 sources and I'm always short from oil.  In Europe, rapeseed oil is the major biodiesel feedstock. In the United States, soybeans are the dominant biodiesel feedstock. http://www.extension.org/pages/28006/oilseed-crops-for-biodiesel-production#.U6mzpfmSySo

Thank you
Have a nice day!

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Re: buying vegetable oil seeds to make my own oil
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
Hello, philbri, and welcome to the BeyondBiodiesel.org forum, and thank-you for posting your inquiry.  I have used WVO from both canola oil and soy oil.  If I had a choice, then I would never use soy oil, and would always use canola oil sources, because I have found canola oil will remain liquid at far lower temperatures than soy oil.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)