Author Topic: On running WMO - a cop excuse that might work  (Read 1496 times)

Class_8

• vetted member
On running WMO - a cop excuse that might work
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
From reading old notes I took researching the issue...

Someone was stopped for whatever reason and his fuel tanks were tested to see if he was running red dyed ag fuel.  Asked why his fuel was black instead - apparently he said it was due to a marine style biofouling prevention additive and they didn't bother him further.  (this was in lake country where people know that you can get algae growth in diesel more it seems)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Re: On running WMO - a cop excuse that might work
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:09:30 AM »
I can see that this excuse would work in the winter, since few people understand blending at all.  But not likely to work in the summer months.  So, perhaps just say that you are using an experimental nano-particle, carbon-based fuel additive, which dies your fuel black.

It is; however, deceptive, when we need not be.  All we need do to make burning waste oils as fuel is pay for the first tear of road tax on DIY fuel, and have that license handy.  Please see: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Inspection and Permit
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:39:49 AM by Jhanananda »
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Class_8

• vetted member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
With most marine use being in summer and biofouling being an actual issue i'd hope it would work year round.  :- P

Actually I wasn't even aware that there were licenses that would cover things - I mean I saw the other posting in here but I had assumed it was more for WVO, and that at least for WMO it might burn dirtier than normal or make the emissions types get their panties in a twirl about it.  (actually even with road tax paid, where they are only concerned about tax, i wonder whether emissions is still a danger)  Especially since I was concerned about some of the catchall blends that could end up in a tank depending how reliable one's sources of fuel were.

If you actually can run it without looking over your shoulder that about triples my interest and desire to run it - I really would like to run it in a Class 8 if possible (at least for private use - mostly heavy farm and ranch hauling) and scrutiny for commercial vehicles is far higher than for private vehicles.  It makes things much easier.

Interesting in that thread that financial predators are trying to pretend to be for the government now as well - did you ever get any kind of followup from that (or report the site to the state government for fraudulently pretending to be a govt operation?)?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:29:17 PM by Class_8 »

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:30:59 PM »
I just noticed this un-responded to message.

Regarding emissions inspections for vehicles that run alternative diesel fuels:
I would expect that most people would flush out their fuel tanks, and load those tanks with ULSD, and run their vehicle through inspection, then go back to running their DIY diesel fuel.

It would be nice if DOT would recognize the value of recycling in those who run waste oils and solvents as fuel, and give them a waiver.

Interesting in that thread that financial predators are trying to pretend to be for the government now as well - did you ever get any kind of followup from that (or report the site to the state government for fraudulently pretending to be a govt operation?)?

I am not sure what this refers to?
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Class_8

• vetted member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
As to financial predators, i'm not sure what thread it was now...  I think it was something along the lines that someone was threatening you (or users in general) claiming that their running of veggie oil (or WMO) was illegal...  yet it wasn't even a real government agency?