Author Topic: CO2 into ethanol  (Read 724 times)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
CO2 into ethanol
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
Researchers accidentally turn carbon dioxide into ethanol

This process sounds like an excellent use for utilizing off-peak-grid power to convert the CO2 that the power generation stations produce back into ethanol. Wow. I can just see it now. everyone will want to have a vehicle that can run on e100, because it will be cheaper than gasoline, or diesel fuel.

Fast forward this concept a 1,000 years, and humans could end up with one in every home for free fuel and free booze, and end up consuming all of the CO2 on the planet to the point of starving the trees, until the world is made into a cold and lifeless desert:-)
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
Re: CO2 into ethanol
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
Here is another project that turns CO2 into fuel.

Reactor that produces liquid fuel from CO2 in the air to be tested in portable pilot plant.

A new compact power plant is starting up in Finland that could help combat the problem by converting atmospheric carbon dioxide itself into usable fuels. The transportable chemical reactor uses solar power to convert CO2 from the air and regenerative hydrogen from electrolysis into liquid fuels.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)