Author Topic: High temp centrifuging  (Read 859 times)

blackdiesel

• vetted member
High temp centrifuging
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
Has anyone centrifuged waste engine oil at 400-500 degrees F? I recently fired up my thermal cracking unit that I made and while it works as designed, I cant help but wonder if the carbon would be able to be removed at much higher temperatures than the 150-180f that I have been centrifuging at for years? Reason for this is I can centrifuge it much faster than cracking it. Thanks

mtrans

• vetted member
Re: High temp centrifuging
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
CF remove only heavy dirt,light one is best with gravity-long time job.
I think no point in 500f,but did not try,and seals will hold?
I`ll improve my English

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:18 AM »
The problem with WMO is it has free carbon dissolved in it, which come out during combustion and forms coke on the injectors.  Thus, the reason why distillation is useful for WMO.  Since solubility is a function of temperature, rising with temperature, then it is not likely that raising the temperature of WMO to 400-500F would do anything to remove the C; and it might be a very dangerous thing to do due to the heat, and possibility of rupturing a seal at those temperatures, which could fling hot oil all over you.
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)

blackdiesel

• vetted member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
I'm at the point of either trying to replicate the hypercycle engine in a 5.9 Cummins or trying to streamline a distillation  process that isn't costly. I've seen thermal cracking systems that are using the uncondensable gases to run the burner. I'd like some pics of retorts as mines extremely crude. Thanks

Jhanananda

• Administrator
  • I blend waste oils with solvents
    • Beyond Biodiesel
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »
If you are interested in distilling and cracking hydrocarbons, then you can check this section of this forum: Pyrolysis of Hydrocarbons
I have run various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline since Feb, 2007 in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP. I have started the engine with no difficulty on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 3F (-16c).  I now run 60/20/20 (WVO/diesel/gas)